Wednesday, October 1, 2008

CentrAmp 2008 - Days 10-13 - Nicaragua




Read the CentrAmp blogs for Panama & Costa Rica before proceeding, or else you will be beaten senseless........


Days 10 -13 - Granada, Nicaragua


Rather than do a day-by-day blog for these days, I am going to write a general reportage on Granada, as my days here weren't too eventful, and deliberately so, as I anointed it as one of my chill-out zones. I breakfasted each morning at length and at leisure on the hotel patio which had the Lake (pictured) and its long promenade in full view. The food in the hotel was excellent, with each breakfast consisting of a big plate of ultra-fresh pineapple watermelon and melon, a juicy ham and cheese omelette, toast and coffee, all for 50 Cordobas ($2.50/€1.75). Companionship was usually provided by my Teach-Yourself-Spanish book, which continued to be useful as Nicaraguans, like their Panamaniacal and Costly Rican counterparts, aren't big on English either.
Afternoons were spent walking or jogging along the promenade, with some chilled reading or surfing back in the hotel room. Sounds boring but it was bliss! Whilst sitting at the lakeside on one of the afternoons, I was approached by a local boatsman, who after some standard Spanglish small-talk wanted to know if I was interested in a trip on the lake. Not really, I said truthfully, and due to my genuine disinterest, the price for an hour-long trip dived from $30 to $7, and before I knew it, I was being transported (rather painfully) on the back of his 70-year-old bicycle to his boat. I asked a few times if we were near our destination, as my arse was killing me, and the reply was always a lie-filled "Si".

No comments: