Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 52 - Monday, February 21st, 2011

Monday morning and time to pay visit Nothern Trust a visit in order to earn some bill-pay tokens. Afterwards, it's time for a trip on the LUAS to Tallaght Hospital, to undergo the 2nd and final series of heart tests as part of research into Sudden Death Syndrome. I am one of 200 non-smoking healthy men and women who have been enlisted, and between the two days was given over €5,000 worth of heart and blood tests and analysis. This evening, I received an ultra-sound so my chest was affixed with a few wires and was smeared in translucent goo and then hey presto!, there is my heart on screen, a-beating splendidly. Seeing the valve open and close like a wobbly metronome is a very cool thing indeed. All manner of measurements are taken and the news is all excellent, which is great to know. In the first set of tests, I was informed that I would be disqualified from the Tour de France if I entered, because I have so much oxygen in my blood, and that I am naturally pre-disposed to running marathons, something that I have obviously taken huge advantage of to date.

Time for more translucent goo in the 2nd test, which is another type of ultra-sound, this time of the carotid artery in the neck, and all is as it should be too. It takes about 45 minutes to get back to the Lighthouse from Tallaght and there's time to whip up some wok fried rice with onions, mushrooms, red and green peppers, and lashings and lashings of hot sauce.


L'hopital de Tallaght

Contentment  : 10.5 / 25
Excitement :     3 / 10
Memorability : 3.5 / 15

Overall Score : 34% (27th out of 52)

No comments: