Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 19 - Wednesday, January 19th, 2011

Another delightful breakfast buffet to start the day - I eschewed all fatty hot options and dived in at the Melon and Pineapple stand, following it with some weetabix, nuts, fruit and Guernsey milk. Guernsey milk is the creamiest lushest most delicious milk in the world - fact! - even putting ultra-tasty Irish milk into second place. Buoyed by such nutritious vitality, I walked into work, not quite knowing the way, but reckoning that if in doubt, go downhill, and it seemed to work, as 25 minutes later, I was at Northern Trust's harbourside Trafalgar Court, at sea-level.

After a hearty day's toil, the walk back to the hotel was considerably more difficult, being as it was almost entirely uphill, so upon completion, I issued an internal decree that gym would not be required on this particular evening, due to deemed exceedence of exercise quota. So I spent the evening in The Doghouse - Guernsey's top live music tavern, and alleged purveyor of fine foods. The nourishment was very good indeed - superb Thai fish cakes followed by a not-great lasagne (too little mince and their idea to infuse it with pesto just didn't work). However, the "real" chip-pan style chips were bleedin' d'lish, as was the side of sesame seed stir-fried vegetables. I asked the slightly surly but highly efficient waitress if she could help me decide between the Chef's Chocolate pavlova and the Iced Lemon Cheesecake, and she replied that both were delicious. I figured that pressing the point further would lead to hostility, so I plumped for the cheesecake, and it was truly awesome.

A little weary from an abundance of food and from a couple of nights' poorish- sleep, I exited just as the folk-rock combo Barley Kings were about to hit the stage, so alas I cannot provide a critique on their excellence or otherwise.


                         The Channel Islands of Herm and Sark in the background, beyond the low tide

                             Nearly in the Doghouse

Contentment :  10 / 25
Excitement :     2 / 10
Memorability : 2.5 / 15

Overall Score : 29%   (Rank 13th out of 19)

No comments: